Author Topic: Is a heated Screen REALLY worth three times the price???  (Read 5568 times)

Offline deafened90

• Master Craftsman
Is a heated Screen REALLY worth three times the price???
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
Bleedin nora...

IS IT?  :?? :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek
Dan - A stainless Geezer always exhausted..

@DemandEng
www.longlife.co.uk
www.xorst.co.uk

Offline Lothar

• Master Craftsman
Re: Is a heated Screen REALLY worth three times the price???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
only when you need it  :lol
"Where is Jessica Hyde?"

BigSi110

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
I think it's up to the individual's choice.

When the screen went on my 110 a few years ago, I went for a non-heated one as I'd never really used a heated screen before.

But now I have one in my RR, I'd go heated on the 110 without hesitation.

Yes, they only get used in icy weather, but they work so damed quickly and there's enough glass on my 110 to keep anyone busy for 10 minutes in willy-shrinking cold whilst scraping the windows properly. Then there's access with a snorkel in the way on one side and a short (ish) Clare to consider.

And, believe it or not, the RR's 'screen is even taller and even more inacessible.

Offline MS

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
I use mine a lot for clearing the window when its damp.  I really like having it but could live without it.

Offline The Boy

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
I never thought that it was that important however I am not sure I would want to be without it now. So bloody easy on a cold and frosty morning to flick the switch. Must be getting soft in my old age. if I was to win a bit on the lottery and buy a new land rover i may only go for the csw, leather seats (have covers) and traction control (only come on in very bad conditions) mean little to me but I would go for winter pack with air con as extras.

Offline Brian

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Wild photog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
Yes, useful here in Africa too, more frequently than you might think, but not as often as anywhere in Europe of course. We had heavy frost for a week recently and the cars parked outside had ice covered windscreens, normal for a brief period every winter here on the Highveld.

Lesotho is a fun destination and not too far away, as most of it is at or around 10000ft or higher. I have used heated screens/rear windows there whilst driving, after running into a sleet/snow storm at that altitude in late winter, when it all started icing up. They have ski lodges there  :eek

As said above, even if you only use it rarely, it's a godsend when you do need it.
Regards,
Brian

:beer

Range Rover Classic V8 auto
Freelander HSE TD4 auto

Offline The Boy

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Ironically even though I have a heated screen I always end up clearing the ice from Cy’s 90 anyway before I leave for work.

BigSi110

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Would that I could do the same for Clare, but I leave 2.5 hours before she does and the screen frosts over again in that time.

Which begs another question. Webasto instead of a heated screen?

Offline Hillbilly Raider

• Receptionist
  • Master Craftsman
  • queen of the peaks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
knowing my luck it would go wrong and cause some other problem
Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler!

diesel_jim

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »
I fitted one to my 110 when I built it. brand new, but about 1/3rd of the elements now don't work (and it's only 3 years old! they started to go almost straight away)

Would I get another one? probably not. although the wiring is there now so if this one cracked I suppose the insurance would cover it, but I probably wouldn't bother to upgrade and faff about making the loom & timers up.

Offline ThreePointFive

• Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 02:48:48 PM »
Is that a problem with them? Thinking of getting heated screen because the Defender de-misting isn't great even in the very warm V8s and getting in and out in wet clothing when off road means there have been a few times I would have wanted one - but I won't pay for something not fit for purpose.
1988 90 3.5 V8

Offline The Boy

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Mines over three years old now and all works 100% (touch wood).

Offline breninfrance

• Final Year Apprentice
  • if it aint broke, fix it till it is
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
Is that a problem with them? Thinking of getting heated screen because the Defender de-misting isn't great even in the very warm V8s and getting in and out in wet clothing when off road means there have been a few times I would have wanted one - but I won't pay for something not fit for purpose.

I'm amazed my defender heater was superb, obviously if you get in soaking wet, it's going to steam up, but I always thought it came up to temp pretty quick, and did a good job, and we get minus twenty here every year!!

I'd vote for the webasto, a water heating one, not only heats the interior (ever had an alloy gear knob in winter :eek), but it's really good for the engine, and makes cold starting easier. electric is fiddly, having to plug it in, but much simpler to fit!, deisel burners of course work everywhere, but are dearer and harder to fit (but can be left running when marshalling etc in the winter). 
you're only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime

Offline deafened90

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Now, a webasto..  :mm

does £100 go much of the way towards one?
Dan - A stainless Geezer always exhausted..

@DemandEng
www.longlife.co.uk
www.xorst.co.uk

Offline The Boy

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
I would love to have independent heater in my 110. Very good for the engine on cold mornings. If i have the choice and if they are still made I would go for an Eberspacher as they are more reliable. Always had them in our trucks when I used to drive for a living and camping out in the Highlands in mid winter you want something that works unlike the Webasto ones that always breakdown (usually glow plugs). That said Webasto’s may have improved over the last ten years.