Author Topic: Ground Anchors  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Dtd5

• Craftsman
Ground Anchors
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
Stumbled across this on Ebay earlier and wondered what peoples opinions on it are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECOVERY-WINCHING-4X4-OFFROAD-GROUND-ANCHOR-LANDROVER-SELF-RECOVERY-/281058559810?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item4170654742

Compared with most other ground anchors its a good price and I like the fact it can be stored flat.

But has anyone got any experience of this design of any comments as to its likely strength or effectiveness as a ground anchor.  Its not one of those things I have ever needed, but...... :mm

Offline willbowden

• Master Craftsman
    • muddyredlandrover.co.uk
Re: Ground Anchors
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
It looks bloody heavy  :eek

The benefits of this type compared to the old pins in the ground type as I see it is speed when used in competition and in that situation weight is everything, you'd soon get sick of re-setting that girt lump if it kept hitting rocks.

That said I've never been stuck anywhere where there isn't a suitable tree or other LR to winch from.

Will :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:24:35 PM by willbowden »

Offline Hillbilly Raider

• Receptionist
  • Master Craftsman
  • queen of the peaks
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
i think Mikes one is hiding somewhere in the garden
Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler!

Offline Mudbug

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »
Toyotas make good ground anchors  :lol :lol

Offline Dtd5

• Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Toyotas make good ground anchors  :lol :lol

:floor

It looks bloody heavy  :eek

The benefits of this type compared to the old pins in the ground type as I see it is speed when used in competition and in that situation weight is everything, you'd soon get sick of re-setting that girt lump if it kept hitting rocks.

That said I've never been stuck anywhere where there isn't a suitable tree or other LR to winch from.

Will :)

Yes agreed and the pins in the ground always look like a pain to use.  Would never be using it in competitions etc, that really isn't the sort of thing that interests me, but would just be kept in the back of the Landy for that oh shit, what do we do now situation  :?? 
But then as you say there is usually a tree somewhere  (hopefully) :tum

Offline nonimouse

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Wessex Beardsman and TBBC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
Imagine a chocolate fireguard - similar in efficiency
Approved Armchair Expert with heated windscreen

Offline Thunderpants

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »
Bolt it to the A Bar, it'll be fine!!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:17:46 PM by Thunderpants »
You've got a heart of gold. You've got the constitution of an ox. And you've got pants... of thunder.

Offline Dtd5

• Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
Imagine a chocolate fireguard - similar in efficiency

Any reason why you think that?

Offline nonimouse

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
look at the angle of the blade; look at the lack of reinforcement; it's a boat anchor not a ground anchor

This is a ground anchor http://www.anchorright.com.au/images/sarca/prt-open-sizes.jpg

In fact the more I look at your link the more I shudder to think that someone might hang their vehicle off it!

Offline Stormin

• Master Craftsman
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
look at the angle of the blade; look at the lack of reinforcement; it's a boat anchor not a ground anchor

I don't think I'd use it for either.  :noway
Late 2002 Discovery TD5 .
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
So many cats. So few recipies.
www.alanquayledesign.com

Offline Dtd5

• Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »

This is a ground anchor http://www.anchorright.com.au/images/sarca/prt-open-sizes.jpg

In fact the more I look at your link the more I shudder to think that someone might hang their vehicle off it!

I had similar concerns at first, but if you think about the reinforcement, it doesn't actually need any.  I have emailed the seller and the blade is 10mm thick solid high tensile steel and the arm is 30mm x 15mm solid high tensile steel with no welds or joints to break, so it is pretty substantial, clearly won't be light!!

Compare this to the 'lightweight' versions like the one you have posted and the D44/X-Eng versions which all have hollow tubes and thin 3mm steel plates for the blade etc, then you can see why they are reinforced.

The angle of the blade does look a bit steep, but I reckon if you lift the end of the arm up at bumper/winch height, the angle isn't so bad, and this is where it would pull from anyway.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get one and see what they are like, I'll let you know how I get on with it  - I'm sure Leon will need recovering again soon  :floor

Offline ThreePointFive

• Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
The reinforcement is not to stop it from breaking, it's to prevent the whole thing from folding backwards like an umbrella in a strong wind. A curved metal surface is far stronger than a flat sheet, so by putting the folds in the blade as per X-Eng, it provides more strength for less weight.
1988 90 3.5 V8

Offline nonimouse

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:39 PM »
What he said

I've tested loads of these things, broken almost all of them.  The forces involved are huge.  The X bow is the best competition jobbie, with the PRT and the Pull Pal being the best all rounders.  The Kitty Gipper was good but Nige stopped making them.  David Bowyers three pin idea works well.

A decent well made Danforth will also do the job

Offline nonimouse

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
Oh and the PRT is no lightweight believe me.

I've had mine for over 10 years, and it was second hand then; it's seen a fair bit of use on four continents and across almost 50 countries.  I've used it to train hundreds of people and they've gone on to abuse in practice, it's also been used for hundreds of assessments; yet all I've done is scratch it a bit...  Oh and someone lost one of the R clips

Offline Dtd5

• Craftsman
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
OK anchor has arrived and looks pretty good especially given it is less than a third of the cost of the others mentioned.

It is absolutely solid and I think the winch rope or bumper would probably give way before the blade ever bends!! 

Not has a chance to test it yet, but will give a go soon and given that it is only to keep in the back of the landy for an oh-shit situation, as opposed to competitive use or climbing vertical inclines, so I think it will more than suffice  :up