Author Topic: Music on the move  (Read 3808 times)

Offline willbowden

• Master Craftsman
    • muddyredlandrover.co.uk
Music on the move
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
I'll be needing to put some form of music system in the 110 soon (assuming nobody buys it :benson )

In the past I have had 2nd hand Kenwood and Blaupunct head units in there that I've salvaged from other cars, these have been connected to ex domestic 3way speakers in the back mounted high up and some mid range pod speakers in the front either side of the fusebox.

In order of priority

Cheap (it could, well probably will, get ruined by water and mud)
Loud
Reasonable sound (its a 110 so I am not expecting to not hear the gearbox or the doors rattle)
ipod input would be good for podcasts but I think I'll go for something I can put an SD card or USB into to save the phone charge.

There seem to be loads of cheap headunits about now that have the SD/USB input, are they total crap?
First one I came to - [size=78%]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-in-dash-Audio-Stereo-MP3-player-FM-Radio-USB-SD-card-AUX-Inputs-Receiver-/230870387666?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item35c0f28bd2&_uhb=1[/size]
There are better looking ones...

Speakers - mine have seen better days so they need replacing, what does everyone else use? How have you mounted front speakers? Thinking about 9x6 speakers in pods at the back high up.

Open to suggestions...

Will :)

Offline Arjan

• Master Craftsman
  • Location: Hidden in the Deep & Darkest Part of the Auvergne, Central France
  • Overlanding is more than just travelling...
    • Greenlaning in France as it is meant to be
Re: Music on the move
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »
 :tip Bonjour,

Each to their own and loud & waterproof is a common LR owner requirement  :cheesy

We have Pioneer with SD card / USB in the 110's and weird French thingy in the Ninety that eats only cards. The HT has a amplifier build in, the rest is just 4 x 60 Watts and that does the job well.
Speakers are Pioneer Marine in various sizes and a serious bass box  :eek

Waterproof speaker are not that expensive ans seems to survive well... MAke sure the wiring is  :up

But aren't you setting up a system for the 101  :mm
Thegreenlanecompany.com

:ramp
Relaxed & Traditional Non-Damaging
fun off Tarmac
We Love ATA-Carnets

Offline Alandrover

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
When i had my 110, i built a wooden box from 1/2" ply. It fitted in the rear load area between the wheelboxes. In the front i fitted some ex domestic speakers and power them with an amp also fitted in the box.
I used some plug in audio plugs to connect to the radio head unit, and a separate plug for the power supply.
The rest of the box was for secure storage, for ropes jacks etc and was lockable.
It is currently in my series 3 and can be powered up and play tunes from my phone with a 3.5 mm jack plug.
I am currently selling my series three so the box is spare. As it was made for a 110 its your if you want it.
BTW you would need a head unit with audio out plugs on the back.
Up the road, first left then right.

Offline willbowden

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
Something between the wheelboxes is out for me, the big dog stands between the boys second row seats on the move and I quite often sleep in the 110 on the floor.

Marine speakers are a good point Arjan, an ex-client has a marine supplies business, I might give him a shout  :mm  Shame he is an ex-client really, could have worked out well.

Will  8)

Offline ThreePointFive

• Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:10 AM »
I am facing the same decision, I am thinking that one of the headunits with no moving parts is the way forward, may be similar to Arjan's.

Seems like a good idea with blutooth connectivity as you get all the benefits of an MP3 player with no slots for dust to get into and no CD to skip when you go over a bump.

For speakers I've always gone with the main brands of automotive speakers, they're designed for that usage and you can easily match the system wattage to make sure nothing starts smoking.

1988 90 3.5 V8

Offline nonimouse

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Wessex Beardsman and TBBC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
I just buy reasonably cheap head units from Halfrauds when there is a sale, make sure there is an aux socket, then use my iPod.  I've fitted half decent speakers but that is all that's worth it really
Approved Armchair Expert with heated windscreen

Offline willbowden

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »
How has everyone fitted front speakers? Mine are small pods that are screwed to the fusebox cover, they have got a tad damp a few times so they should go in the bin I think.

Will :)

Offline Hicap edd

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
Because both my motors are truck cabs i've got the speakers under the lower dash, the problem is you have to cut a hole each side so i made two circuler spacers from MDF and painted them black. Its a bit tight for space when using the window winder on your knuckles though.
I started with nothing and i still got most of it left !

Offline Mudbug

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
My tip for anyone putting speakers in your Landrover.. Do not buy car stereo speakers but if you can buy external boat speakers they are water resistant/proof  and very rugged also not much more than normal speakers or go to a boat breakers and get the deck speakers.. I have 6x9 boat speakers under the second row seats on a removable board they have been flooded, splashed, kicked, puked on and god knows what else and still work perfectly fine.  :tip Or of you really want to be smart. A well know USA 4x4 company make a speaker bar(or sound bar they like to call it) which fits well in defenders one of the few good things they make  :up

Offline Brian

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Wild photog
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
My front Defender speakers are mounted in the roof, one above each front seat. They work well in all conditions, with the bluetooth for the phone too.

Regards,
Brian

:beer

Range Rover Classic V8 auto
Freelander HSE TD4 auto