Author Topic: bulkhead advice  (Read 1806 times)

Offline lrkaty

• Master Craftsman
  • Incomplete Newbie
    • www.shenstone.me.uk
bulkhead advice
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

I've got the 127 Marshalls ambulance and the bulkhead corners are gone completely and need replacing as a minimum

Poking around today I created a hole about 4 inches long beneath the passenger side dashboard where I can see right through into the engine bay so there is clearly more rust

There is also a  small section in the drivers side at the bottom just as it comes to the floor

Given all of this i am starting to think that replacement may be more likely than repair, but before I start taking things apart (and especially as I have not done  something this large before) a few questions I would like to get your advice on

1. From what I've written above - would you think at this point it still sounds repairable and I'll need to take it apart, or just bite the bullet?
2. do you know is there anything special about the early (pre-defender name) bulkheads. I'm presuming this far forwards is standard land rover not military special (apart from the extra fuse box attached to it)
3. If I get someone to do it what is a reasonable cost?

Oh BTW yesterday wasn't a good day  the reason I was poking around was an electrical fault I was trying to track down - mind you with the bulkhead out that may be easier to renew

The doors have bimetallic corrosion and the drivers side wing is dented so this may be time for a lot of work starting on this could be an expensive can of works - I should have bought something newer   :hit  but then I would not be learning as much

Regards
Andy

Offline Stormin

• Master Craftsman
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it.
Re: bulkhead advice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
  I'd go for a replacement bulkhead. Not to difficult a job and if you can afford a galv one all the better. To do a decent repair job would mean stripping everything any way.
Late 2002 Discovery TD5 .
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
So many cats. So few recipies.
www.alanquayledesign.com

Offline landynick

• Master Craftsman
  • When in doubt, flat out
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Agreed.
If your intending on keeping Katy,  :up then replace with galvie one.

PM and I'll advise on who NOT to buy from
The Dirty General will ride again.

Offline JWL

• Master Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »
I'd definitely get a replacement galv'd one. Ghound does them for a very good price. He's on various forums.

My 1984 90 took what was apparently a 200tdi bulkhead without a problem. I think TD5 onwards cause some issues, so best to stay away from them.

The only things the 200 bulkhead had that the original didn't is a hole and bracket for the bonnet release.

Offline landynick

• Master Craftsman
  • When in doubt, flat out
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »
The one I received from Ghound DID NOT FIT....
The Dirty General will ride again.